Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

Modeling floor of a single zone house which has its backside exposed to ambient condtions

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello,

I am trying to model the thermal load of a house that has its floor raised 1 meter high above the ground making the external floor exposed to ambient conditions. In Type56 floor that are in contact with ground are declared as boundary configuration with a boundary temperature and convective resistance is reduced to negligible value to infer ground contact. Now that my floor is not ground coupled, what should be my modeling approach?

1. If I declare the floor as external component, will the internal calculation of inside the floor convection coefficient be considered ideally as it would be if it was declared as a boundary component?

2. Since it is an external component, how will type 56 understand that the radiative exchange is going to be only with the ground's exposed surface (ground reflected short wave and reciprocated long wave exchange) and not the celestial hemisphere of the sky dome.

I appreciate efforts from the TRNSYS team or any community members for answering this. Thanks.

-Abir,

Grad Student, UC Davis

1 Answer

Abir,

1.) Yes, you can use the internal calculation for inside. However, for the outside you need to define a convective heat transfer coefficient for outside conditions.

2.) The floor shall be defined as external and it has an orientation H_0_180. Due to a surface slope of 180 the surface doesn't get direct solar radiation, but receives diffuse refelcted radiation. For longwave, the view factor to sky (FSKY) is the relevante paraemter. If it is set to 0, the surface doesn't see the celestial hemisphere of the sky dome. Longwave radiation exchange is perfomred with the  given ground temperature only (Input 4). It is highly recommended to check the euqtions given in the manual (05-MultizoneBuilding.pdf) for a better understanding.

- marion

Share: