Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Wizard Settings created by SketchUp-TRNSYS plugin

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

I used the SketchUp-TRNSYS plugin which automatically created the connections between weather data and type 56. I wanted to ask:

1) if I do not want to use blinds, can I set SHADE_CLOSE = 100000 and SHADE_OPEN = 0?

2) if I want to represent a PV collector on top of the building, can I create a window with the same dimensions and set MAX_ESHADE = 1 for the window?

1 Answer

1) if I do not want to use blinds, can I set SHADE_CLOSE = 100000 and SHADE_OPEN = 0?

both should be set to 10000 (100000 is fine too). SHADE_CLOSE is activated if the solar radiation is greater than the value. SHADE_OPEN is activated if the solar radiation is less than the value

2) if I want to represent a PV collector on top of the building, can I create a window with the same dimensions and set MAX_ESHADE = 1 for the window?

does the PV act as a skylight in that it lets some solar radiation through to the inside of the building? Or is there just a PV panel on top of an opaque roof? 

kind regards,

David

ParisPasq Topic starter 22/06/2023 7:40 am

@davidbradley Thank you for your reply. For the PV, I am modelling a greenhouse which is mostly made of glass. There are some studies saying that having PV at the roof decreases the solar radiation entering the greenhouse and in turn the required cooling. So, I wanted to model different PV areas to measure how much the cooling decreases. I thought of using the MAX_ESHADE, but even if I set it to 1 for all the surfaces (roof and walls), the cooling does not decrease. Thus, I wanted to ask if I am using MAX_ESHADE correctly.

ParisPasq Topic starter 24/06/2023 10:32 pm
This post was modified 10 months ago by ParisPasq

@davidbradley Hi David, I have a question regarding the PV. If I calculate how much energy they produce, how can I represent that part of the solar radiation is converted into electricity? For example, if I calculate that the greenhouse requires 1000 kWh_el/m^2 (per floor area) and that the PV collectors on on the roof produce 300 kWh_el/m^2 (per floor area), should I just deduct the energy produced by the PV collectors from the greenhouse requirement, having an effective requirement of 700 kWh_el/m^2?

Share: