Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

Type 56 - External calculation of radiation - 3D building Tutorial step 5

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

In my project, I wanted to use the External radiation calculation option for external surfaces in Type 56 – multizone building.

I found an example using it in the step 5 of the 3D building tutorial : C:\TRNSYS18\Examples\3D_Building\5_Step_Modify3D_Trnsys3d\Building_step5.tpf

In this example, the radiation data from Type 15 are supplied in kJ/h/m2 to Radiation Unit converter. They are converted in W/m2. Then supplied to Type 56 where they are expected in kJ/h/m2.

Do I have to supply the radiation data in kJ/h/m2 or W/m2 ?

Thank you !

Arnaud Beaulac

1 Answer
Topic starter

Arnaud,

You're correct about the function of those equations: they convert the data in the weather file from kJ/h.m2 to W/m2. However, those equations (at least in the example as distributed) aren't connected to the building. They are instead connected to a solar radiation plotter just to display the solar radiation in more standard units. If you set Type56 to take its solar radiation values as "external calculation" (rather than obtaining them automatically and internally) then those values must be provided to Type56 in kJ/h.m2.

Generally speaking in Trnsys, you should not change the units of inputs using the pulldown in the proforma. If you do, then bear in mind that no automatic unit conversions are performed. Inside the code, the Type gets an input value that is equal to the output value of the Type that is producing the output; no conversion is performed regardless of what the proforma indicates the output and input units to be. It is okay to change the units of parameters in proformas. I am always hesitant to mention it but you can also change the units of UNCONNECTED inputs. However, it is not recommended to do so because of the potential for later connecting that input up from the output of another Type and mistakenly thinking that a conversion will be performed.

kind regards,

David

Share: