Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] New wind direction incorporating building turn

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello,

I have some confusion of how the built in formula generated in simulation studio (when automatically created from 3D sketchup file) calculates the new wind direction considering some "Turn" angles in building.

The formula that is by default created in wizard is- MOD(Input1+TURN/HEMISPHERE,360) + LT(Input1+TURN/HEMISPHERE,0)*(360) ! wind direction corrected by scene rotation angle (0...360 deg) where input 1 is the wind direction.

Now this wind direction is mentioned as the direction from which wind is blowing where N=0, E=90, S=180 and W=270 or -90.

The turn is considering N to E as positive. 

Considering the above mentioned formula the new wind direction is calculated 60 for a house that is located in northern hemisphere at a turn of 60.

My question is how this is 60 degree. If wind direction is 30 degree that means wind direction is from 30 degree clockwards of North. Turn of building is also 30 degrees clockward of North per convention. Then the direction from which the wind is blowing and the building's North face is essentially in the same direction.

Really appreciate some clarification.

-Abir

DavidBradley 10/10/2023 1:44 pm

@tm-abir-ahsan
you bring up a good point! This is one on which I want to check with some colleagues before answering. Please stand by!

TM Abir Ahsan Topic starter 10/10/2023 3:11 pm

@DavidBradley
Thanks David, for looking into this. My building structure's external convection coefficient rely on the accurate estimation of wind speed and wind direction. I want to be sure that I am calculating the wind direction properly.

Topic Tags
Share: