Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

Solar storage tank with two immersed heat exchangers_Type?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello,

I need your help. I am currently modelling on TRNSYS a combined solar system for heating and domestic hot water as shown in the image below. I can't find the corresponding tank with two immersed heat exchangers and outlets. I have already searched the library but cannot find the ideal type (I have the TESS library, TRNSYS 18).

Please can someone help me.

3 Answers

@manuel_ines If you have the TESS Storage Tank library v18 you can use Type1534. If you have v17 of the libraries you can use Type534. Both can accommodate multiple heat exchangers and multiple input/output port configurations.

kind regards

David

The source code of either Type 1534 or 534 will work with multiple immersed heat exchangers. However, with Type 1534 you'll need a proforma modified from the one distributed with the v18 TESS Storage Tank library. You can make the required proforma modifications yourself, or you can contact your TRNSYS distributor and request a modified proforma for Type 1534 with two immersed heat exchangers. 

To make the proforma modifications to Type 1534 yourself, follow the steps below:

1. Double-click on the proforma for Type 1534-Coiled in the Direct Access tree in Simulation Studio. This will bring up the proforma editing window.
  2. Click on the Variables tab, then the Variables (Parameters, Inputs, Outputs, Derivatives) button. 
  3. Click on the Parameters tab. Change the Max for Number of immersed heat exchangers from 1 to 2.
  4. Highlight parameters 25 through 45, and select Create from the Cycle menu on the right. Create a cycle on these parameters associated with parameter: number of immersed heat exchangers.
  5. Save changes to the proforma with a new name (Type1534-Coiled-2HX, or whatever you like). Close the proforma editing window.
  6. In the Direct Access menu, select Refresh tree to see the new proforma appear in the Direct Access tree.

When you use the proforma in a project, change the "Number of immersed heat exchangers" parameter from 1 (the default) to 2, and you should see parameters appear to specify tube length, diameter, and so forth for each heat exchanger in the tank. You could alternatively, on step 3) above, set both the min and max values for Number of immersed exchangers to 2, and use the modified proforma exclusively for modeling tanks with two immersed heat exchangers. 

I think the distributed version of the Type 534 proforma already includes the above changes, but if not you can make the same changes in the Type 534 proforma to allow multiple immersed heat exchangers.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by A_Weiss

I think in both cases (534 and 1534) there are also "data file/plugin" versions of the proformas that allow you define multiple heat exchangers using a little interface program that is launched when you click on the magic wand button in the lower left corner of the proforma. Instead of populating the parameter list, the plugin writes all of the parameters to an external data file that is read by the component. The method that @A_Weiss detailed is very helpful if you want to see all of the parameters, inputs, and outputs in the proforma (so that you can set things using equations) or if you can't or don't want to use the plugin and have all of the parameters specified in an external data file. 

Share: