Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

Heat pump defrost cycle

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I was wondering if any of the existing heat pump models modulate the freezing of the heat pump and the needed defrost cycle.
As it can have a significant influence on the performance it would be great to explore this.

Best regards,
Jan

A_Weiss A_Weiss 12/06/2023 4:56 pm

@janboettner I definitely documented versions of the TESS HVAC library air-air heat pump models about a year ago that include defrost performance modeling, so I know it's been done. I'll have to get back to you on the availability of those models. They may not have been included in the TESSLib18 HVAC library because they were developed on a contract that prohibited their distribution, or it might have been an oversight. I'll get back to you!

Edited to add: Unfortunately, the heat pump models we have in house that model defrost cycles are not developed enough yet for commercial distribution; they also rely on performance data that isn't typically available from manufacturers. I wish I could help further! 

TS_Team 13/06/2023 8:09 am

@janboettner You may have a look at Type 402
Compressor Heat Pump Including Modulation, and
Frost and Cycle Losses ( https://trnsys.org/community/component-libraries-tess-libraries-transsolar-components-user-written-components/heat-pump-defrost-cycle/). best, marion

janboettner Topic starter 13/06/2023 9:21 am

thanks a lot!
I'll look into it.

best regards, Jan

2 Answers

Type 372 is a physical model, that describes the cyclic process of a heat pump in a stationary mode. As opposed to that, Type 402 is a model that uses performance data of an actual heat pump to describe the heating/ compressor power based on polynoms (depending on the temperatures and operation point). You can find the documentation of both types on our website at https://trnsys.de/en/addons-en (by clicking on the type's graphics). As was mentioned before, this model also considers warming up/ cooling down periods and defrosting.

Best, Christina

Hi,

Is it also possible to use type 402 as a fixed heat pump? There is not a lot information available on this type, the parameters and how it works...

Thank you in advance.

Share: