Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

Cold storage model in TRNSYS with design temperature of minus 18 celcius

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

I want to model a cooling system for cold storage in TRNSYS. The peak cooling load is around 10 kW. Can we use an air source heat pump to achieve minus 15 Celsius temperature (I know air source heat pumps are normally used for space cooling, not sure if we can use it for cold storage to achieve such a low temperature)?  or water cooled chiller would be better (then I am not sure if such a small size water cooled chiller are available)? 

Could you please guide me on what would be the best option and what TRNSYS types/ resources are available?

Many thanks!

Virk

1 Answer

Virk,

Most of the heat pump models in Trnsys use performance maps meaning that they read heat pump capacity and power consumption from an external data file. What you'll need to do is to find some performance data for a commercially available heat pump or chiller that can produce the kind of supply temperatures that you need. Make sure that the performance data gives you capacity and COP over the entire range of inlet temperatures that you expect the device to see. I have recently been working on a project in which we modeled a liquid-to-liquid heat pump that delivers (evaporator outlet) at -14C. The return (evaporator entry) temperature is -9C. In our case we very carefully controlled both the evaporator and condenser inlet temperatures so that we didn't have to worry as much about how the capacity and COP vary.

kind regards,

David

Virk Topic starter 18/09/2023 2:16 pm
This post was modified 8 months ago by Virk

@davidbradley Thank you for responding. Could you please tell me which manufacturer data you used? Is it possible for you to share the performance data files? (if not, could you please at least share the manufacturer data files?). Many Thanks!

DavidBradley 18/09/2023 3:52 pm

In our case the heat pump capacity was 240kW and its COP at the entering condition was 1.6. Those two values basically didn't vary but only because we were able to (or because we had to, depending on how you look at it) control the inlet conditions so that they also didn't vary. I'm afraid I don't have any performance data that I am able to share away from that one operating point that we used.

Share: