Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

Type 45a: how to modify the friction factor?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello. I am trying to model a thermosiphon flat-plate solar thermal collector with a horizontal storage tank at the top. I have selected Type 45a for this purpose. When it comes to the friction head loss in the pipes, in the mathematical references (page 4-511), Eq. 4.9.2-5 indicates that the friction factor is: f = 64/ Re for Re < 2000 and f = 0.032 for Re > 2000. Now, ten (10) lines below, on the same page, it is indicated:

f = f[1 + .038/(L/Re/d)^964]
1/ This is confusing for two reasons. First, f appears twice in the equation, meaning that [1 + .038/(L/Re/d)^964] equals one, which is probably not correct. In addition, is this friction factor f different from the one of the Eq. 4.9.2-5 given above 64/Re and 0.032?

2/ Finally, if I want to use another correlation, for instance f = (0.79*ln(Re- 1.64)^(-2), as recently did Kalogirou et al. (2017), what would be the easiest way to proceed?
Thank you.

1 Answer

@ken 

I believe that equation 4.9.2-5 applies to the collector inlet and outlet pipes whereas the other equation applies to the pipes and risers that connect the inlet to the outlet. In other words the second equation accounts for additional friction beyond that accounted for by 4.9.2-5. 

In order to change the algorithm that the component uses you would need to modify the Type45 source code and either recompile the TRNDll.dll. Issues of changing source code and recompiling are treated in the documentation set in 07-ProgrammersGuide.pdf

kind regards,

David

Ken Topic starter 28/11/2023 1:47 am

@davidbradley Thank you for your feddback. I will try to modify the code source. I know it is sometimes very challenging.
But definitely, there is a problem with the equation f = f[1 + .038/(L/Re/d)^964] where f appears on both side of the equation. Thanks

A_Weiss A_Weiss 30/11/2023 4:35 am

@ken I think David is suggesting that, in the Fortran code, the value f is calculated first as either 64/Re or 0.032, then it is further modified by the second equation. In other words, f = (64/Re)[1 + .038/(L/Re/d)^964] when Re is less than 2000, and f = (0.032)[1 + .038/(L/Re/d)^964] when Re is greater than 2000. It's no different than incrementing an integer i from 1 to 2 by writing i=1, then i=i+1 in successive lines of code.

Ken Topic starter 06/12/2023 6:12 pm

@A_Weiss. Thank you for your feedback. Actually, when Re is less than 2000, f = Re/64 for friction factor calculation for laminar flow in a circular pipe. Equation f = (64/Re)[1 + .038/(L/Re/d)^964], to my opinion, could not be correct, at least for Re less than 2000. For sure, there is a problem with the equations in the section. I do not mean it to be solved here but it could be worth looking closely at it for correction later. Thanks

Share: