Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Issues with Parametric Study

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi!
I have some issues with the parametric study.

First of all - is it possible to let it run in the background, without TRNSY opening the TRNEXE window in the front again for every new run? I know, I could deactivate the plots 😀 But I tend to forget... and I had it running in the background yesterday without doing anything, so I think it should be possible. I just don't know how to activly do it.

Then I often get an error message for one of the first runs that are executed in parallel, that the files could not be saved, as they are in use. I have no idea how to resolve this problem. 

Lastly, I had a session running over night, but it stopped for some reason. Is there a way to safely run the parametric study over night, when you are not using your Computer?

Best regards
Jan

DavidBradley 19/03/2024 1:10 pm

@janboettner am I correct in assuming that you are running the parametrics from the Simulation Studio? Or are you using the parametric feature from TRNEdit?
best,
David

2 Answers
Topic starter

Hi David,

yes the one in the Simulation Studio.

Regarding letting the session run through the night, I think my energy saving settings were the issue.. I changed them to off and I didn't have any issues last night 🙂

Best,
Jan

Jan,

I must admit that I have not used the Simulation Studio parametric run feature very much. I do not think it is possible to control whether Trnsys runs in the foreground or the background in that case. When calling Trnsys from a commend line there are some switches (/n and /h) that can be used to force Trnsys to run in the background and also not to wait at the end of a simulation. 

I think you are correct that the energy savings settings were the cause of the unfinished run(s). I have run into the same issue but have also been very frustrated by Windows sometimes deciding to update and restart the computer in the middle of the night even when I set it so that it should not do so. If that becomes a problem you may have to disconnect the computer from its network (unplug the ethernet and shut off wi-fi). It is the only way I have found to ensure that the OS will not decide to reboot.

For the error regarding file saving and accessing files in parallel, if you don't already, you can use a syntax like _something.out for your output files. The syntax tells TRNSYS to use the name of the input file when naming the file in question. It then appends whatever it finds after the ***. So for instance if the name of the project is Project1.tpf then your input file will be called Project1.dck and your output file will be Project1_something.out. When parametric tables are run, each input file is given a name that corresponds to the run number so all of the output files will be separate. If your simulation is tripping on accessing a data file (like the weather or some performance data) then please get ahold of our hotline about that.

Not definitive answers, I realize, but I hope something in the above is helpful.

David

janboettner Topic starter 21/03/2024 10:36 am

@davidbradley Thanks David!
I didn't have any issues since I posted 😀 So for now everything is fine, but i'll look into your suggestions! 🙂
Jan

Share: