Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

Problem with heat capacity when modeling apartment in multi-family house

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I model an apartment as a single zone in TRNSYS 18 using type 56. The apartment is part of a multi-family house. Around the modeled apartment, I have added walls in type 56 with boundary walls with boundary condition = identical. My question concerns the heat capacity of these boundary walls. If I model all these boundary walls with their real mass (and corresponding heat capacity), I am afraid that the heat capacity of the modeled apartment gets bigger than it should be. For instance, I have concrete intermediate floor structures both below and above the modeled apartment. If I let the mass of these structures belong to the modeled apartment, then I suspect that the heat capacity is overestimated (since one of these floors belong to another apartment in the building).

So... how should I model the surrounding boundary walls in such a way that the heat capacity of the apartment gets equivalent to the building as a whole?

/Johan

1 Answer

@jolind You could treat the intermediate floor structure above as a thermal resistance rather than as a thermally massive structure. Another thing I would encourage you to do is to first try changing the zone's capacitance (there is a field right under the zone volume field in TRNBuild) by an amount that is something close to the thermal capacitance of the intermediate floor structure and to run your simulation both with and without that mass. It may be that the mass of those intermediate floor structures does not have a very significant impact on the building performance metrics you are looking at. If the results are insensitive to the mass assumption then you can feel more confident in not worrying too much about the value. If the results are highly sensitive to the thermal mass assumption then you can spend a bit more time deciding how best to account for the mass.

kind regards,

David

jolind Topic starter 10/04/2024 5:33 am

@davidbradley Okey. Thanks a lot for your advice! /Johan

Share: