Welcome to the TRNSYS Users Forum.

The forum is a place where people can interact and have discussions about different topics involving the use of the TRNSYS software package. Here you can post topics for discussion or questions on using TRNSYS and get advice from other users or TRNSYS experts. This forum is not intended for detailed technical support. Users should contact their distributor’s hotline for such assistance.

Some tips for success on using the forum:

• Follow the Forum Rules posted in Forum Administration.
  • There are categories for different types of topics and questions. Post your topic or question into the proper category.
  • Before posting a topic or question search the existing topics  (and the TRNSYS Users listserv archive) to see if a similar topic or question has already been answered.
  • Use a descriptive topic name. Don’t use attention getting subjects, they don’t get attention and only annoy people.
  • State the version of TRNSYS and which add-ons your are using.
  • Include enough specific details for your topic of question to be answered. Just posting “Why am I getting an error?” without describing the specific error and what you are trying to do when you get the error will not receive a response that fixes your issue.
  • Remember when people help you, they are doing you a favor. Be patient, help people out by posting good descriptions of what you need help with, and be polite even if a response does not solve your issue.
  • Moderators may edit your post for clarity or move your topic to a more appropriate category.

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Active Layer Settings

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello.
I am planning to model a building using TRNBuild, Active Layer, and I have a question regarding the Active Layer settings (Active Layer Specificaton).
What is the difference between inlet mass flow rate (top right) and Min. Inlet Mass Flowlate (middle)? Also, what is the difference between the "desired" and "allowed" values?" What should I put in the "desired" value?
I would also appreciate it if you could tell me how to use Divide Surface. When is it necessary to divide a layer?

1 Answer

@manaya_ 

It would probably be helpful to refer to the 05-MultizoneBuilding manual for context about the capabilities and limitations of the active layer model that is built into Type56. Essentially though, the model is only valid over certain parameter ranges (such as the liquid flow rate and the ratio of the tube spacing to the thickness of the material in which the active layer is embedded). In the case of the liquid flow rate, it is also important to keep the flow turbulent and not let it go laminar. If the specific liquid flow rate (kg/h.m2) that you want to use in your floor is below the minimum value for which the model is valid then you can divide the surface into a series of surface "segments."

The inlet mass flow rate (top right) is the actual flow rate that will go through your surface.

The min inlet mass flow rate (middle) is the minimum (non zero) flow rate that can pass through the surface and have the model still give valid results.

The "desired" value is the minimum flow rate that you want to use. The "allowed" value is the minimum that the model (given the tube spacing, layer thicknesses, tube diameters, etc.) will support. If you do not have variable flow rates and the desired and allowed flow rates are already above the minimum then you don't need to concern yourself with these settings. If the flow rate that you want to pass through the surface is below the minimum allowed then you will need to set the desired minimum and the surface will need to be segmented. Segmenting the surface is an automated process (click the button) but in order for it to be available, you have to change the zone's geometry mode to "manual."

kind regards,

David

Manaya_ Topic starter 17/10/2023 9:00 am

@davidbradley
Thank you very much for your kind reply. Thanks to your answers, I understand that if the flow rate is sufficient, there is no need to divide the active layer.

Even if the flow rate is sufficient, is it ok to divide the active layer in case the flow rate is very low?
Is there a problem with dividing the active layer too much? Is it undesirable to divide a layer when it is unnecessary?

DavidBradley 23/10/2023 4:15 pm

@manaya_

>> Even if the flow rate is sufficient, is it ok to divide the active layer in case the flow rate is very low?

You'll need to segment the active layer to accommodate whatever the smallest non-zero flow rate that the floor will see during the course of the simulation. Be careful with very low flowrates! You need to make sure that the flow stays turbulent in order to get decent heat transfer between the fluid and the walls of the tubes in the active layer.

>> Is there a problem with dividing the active layer too much? Is it undesirable to divide a layer when it is unnecessary?

I have not seen any studies that look at the impact of dividing/segmenting a layer when it is not strictly necessary to do so. Segmenting basically puts smaller pieces of floor in thermal series with one another. I would imagine that to cause the outlet liquid temperature to be lower than if the circuits were more in parallel. In real-world radiant surface systems you don't want too big a delta T across the surface. I would definitely recommend looking in the literature to find out what kind of inlet/outlet temperature differences are common for the kind of system that you are trying to model and then to watch those in your simulation and make sure that they are reasonable.
kind regards,
David

Manaya_ Topic starter 18/11/2023 6:28 am

@davidbradley
Thank you for the detailed explanation.

・In a floor with Layer before being divided, the pipes are arranged in parallel.
(Water enters the pipes in such a way that it spreads uniformly over the entire floor)
・In a floor with Layer after being divided, several segments are arranged in series.
(Water passes through the pipe in one segment and then enters the pipe in the next segment. The water repeats this until it has passed through all the segments)

Is this interpretation correct?

I would like to apologize for my poor English.

Share: