[TRNSYS-users] Fwd: TRNSYS Support Inquiry - Convertor/Electrolyser

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jihane Assaf <s3467254@student.rmit.edu.au>
Date: 30 April 2014 09:41
Subject: TRNSYS Support Inquiry - Convertor/Electrolyser
To: trnsys-users@cae.wisc.edu
Cc: Tilak Sunwar <s3392420@student.rmit.edu.au>

Dear Sir / Madam,

We are modelling a Photovoltaic/Convertor/Electrolyser/Hydrogen Fuel Cell in TRNSYS. We are at the stage of setting inputs to Convertor and Electrolyser where the below questions arise:

-          For the convertor Inputs: We have Uin, Uout-set, and P (attached file). I believe that Uin shall be the voltage at maximum power point of the photovoltaic, P shall also be the power at maximum power point of the photovoltaic, right !? As for Uout-set, I believe that it should be the optimal voltage at which the electrolyser works, right ! ?

-          So as for the electrolyser, we had a feedback from our supervisor that the electrolyser has as parameters Ucut-in, and Umax, and it is better to operate the electrolyser at 80% of its Umax, in order to have the optimal efficiency of it.

However, as we could see in TRSYS (attached file) that Umax for electrolyser is not defined in the parameters, and that  the  Inputs for Electrolyser are only its current (IELY), while its voltage (UELY) is an output, and that in some of TRNSYS examples, they have put UELY as input to the Uout-set of the electrolyser .

May we have some clarifications of how this works, and how we can operate the electrolyser at optimal voltage and current, especially that the simulation is getting stuck, most probable because of an incorrect selection of the operating current /voltage of the electrolyser, and maybe a mismatch with the Inputs of the convertor !?

I appreciate your support,

Thanks and Best Regards,

Jihane Assaf
RMIT, Melbourne, Australia