[TRNSYS-users] Infiltration and ventilation

Dear all TRNSYS users,

Hi,

I have some issues about determining infiltration and ventilation rates of a residential building.

I am modeling a single-family residential building in TRNSYS using Type 56. I have divided it into four thermal zones: 1) basement 2) main floor, including two zones, and 3) Attic. I am going to satisfy building heating and cooling loads by the usage of an AHU system. So, to estimate the capacity of the system, firstly, I need to determine the rates of infiltration and ventilation of the building.

To determine the minimum ventilation rate in each thermal zone:

1-     I am wondering whether I should use the equation written in Ashrae standard 62.2 or Ashrae standard 62.1? I mean:   Q(cfm) = 0.03*building area+7.5*number of people [Ashrae 62.2]  or   Q(cfm) = 0.06*building area+5*number of people [Ashrae 62.1]

2-     Am I permitted to use these equations to estimate the ventilation rate of each thermal zone individually? Or they are only applied to determine the ventilation rate of the whole-building.

3-     Is the ventilation rate estimated using these equations included exhausted rates of bathroom(s) and restroom(s)? or do I have to add the exhausted rates to the Q(cfm) obtained from the above equations?

As for infiltration:

4-     If the building's effective leakage area or the quantity of building airtightness is known, how can I specify the value of infiltration rate of each thermal zone in the building?

5-     There are two approaches in Ashrae fundamental (Chapter 16) to determine building infiltration rate, called: 1) basic and 2) enhanced models, which are suitable for single zone buildings. Given my building consists of 4 thermal zones, Am I permitted to use these methods to estimate the infiltration rate of each thermal zone?

6-     Without knowing the building's effective leakage area or the quantity of building airtightness, how can I determine the infiltration rate of the building? Are there any equations in this case?

I would appreciate it if you could help me in these cases.

Best regards,

Ali