Re: [TRNSYS-users] Drain water heat recovery

Graham,

The first step is to pick the heat exchanger model that best fits your drain water heat recovery device. Then you'll have to create the hot water draw profile AND the drain water profile. These should be different profiles as things like baths and clothes washing do not have coincident supply and return water flows. You may also have to account for the cold water draws/dumps depending on the location of your heat exchanger. I would avoid Type 14 forcing functions and instead rely on the Type 9 data readers or even the new Event-Based Data Reader from TESS to drive the flows through the system. I've done a few of these drain water heat recovery models and the key is getting the flow rates right. The Building America program has a utility for creating event-based draw profiles - you may want to start there.

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
22 N. Carroll Street, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577  Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton@tess-inc.com