[TRNSYS-users] RE- PID controller: Digital or Continuous? (??)

Type 22 & 23 are quite different :
Type 22 doesn't model really a PID controller. It is an 'ideal' controller that uses iterations made by TRNSYS to reach convergence. It tests a control value and sees the resulting error, and then adjusts the value for the next iteration untill it reaches the maximum error given by user. It is interesting as it models a variable controller without the hassle of tuning the parameters of a PID controller. But the convergence is quite erratic to obtain and it can be stuck with systems with great inertia, depending on the timestep, etc. Personally I try it on my models, and then use a PID because I can't get convergence.

Type23 models a PID in 'real life', ie non iterative with 'mode 0'. Whether it's digital or analog, well, I'd say it's analog but it doesn't matter, as in the vast majority of the cases the timestep used will be far greater than the sampling of the PID. It doesn't use its own timestep. And as far as I know, it cannot be used to guess the parameters that will be used on the real controller, but just to obtain the right control for the simulation.

Hope this helps.

Thibaut