[TRNSYS-users] Type 56 active layer accuracy, alternatives

Dear all,

I'm currently studying the coupling between thermally activated building systems (TABS), or floor heating/cooling, and geothermal heat pumps. I chose using the active layer in type 56, but I recently read in an article by T. Weber (An optimized RC-network for thermally activated building components, Building and Environment, 2005) that "...it will loose a part of its accuracy for harmonic temperature fluctuations in the pipe having a period lower than 10 h". However, this sentence refers to an article that has never been published.

The calculation of the energy storage in the slab is very important for my study. However, the validation of the active layer in type 56 refers to a comparison of the heat fluxes at the slab's upper and lower surface and the mean temperature at pipe level.

Therefore, is there a known accuracy problem with the energy storage calculations in type 56's active layer, usually for high temperature or flow rate fluctuations?

Also, except from type 56's active layer and type 360 (Floor heating and hypocaust), are there other types available for floor heating/cooling?

Thank you!

Mathieu Lévesque
Master student
Département de génie mécanique