Re: [TRNSYS-users] changing value only under certain conditions

Cramer,

Try inserting an equation.  Create an output variable called "signal" or something.  This variable will take on the value 1 for when the window is allowed to be opened; 0 for when it is not.  Then, make signal equal to "and(ge(mod(time,24),8),le(mod(time,24),21))".  Basically, this is saying: if the time is greater than or equal to 8 AND less than or equal to 21, then output the value 1, otherwise it takes on zero.  If the type you're using uses an input that is a control signal, then this equation can be directly linked to it.  I confirmed that the equation works by connecting the equation to an online plotter.  Hope that helps.

Liam O'Brien

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:01:55 +0200
From: silkworth@transsolar.com
To: trnsys-users@engr.wisc.edu
Subject: [TRNSYS-users] changing value only under certain conditions

Hi All,

I'm trying to model manually-operated windows, ie that can only be opened or closed when someone is around to do it. Thus, I need a way to modify a variable only at certain times - for example, so I can change my airchange rate accroding to outdoor temp **only if** hr>8 and hr<21. I know of type 93 (input value recall), but can't think of how this helps. I also know about chaining GT(), LT(), etc, to form logical operations, but everything I can think of would assign a new value at each timestep. I need more of a real if(condition)-then(action), but I know these don't exist in trnsys. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Cramer

J. Cramer Silkworth

Transsolar Climate Engineering

Technical consulting for energy efficiency and environmental quality in buildings.

145 Hudson Street

Suite 402

New York, NY 10013

Office: 212-219-2255