Re: [TRNSYS-users] calculation error?

Dear Stefan,

I think that the error may is caused by the use of single precision in TRNSYS15. TRNSYS16 uses double precision; I tested your project in TRNSYS16, and the differences with the calculations in Excel are in the order of 10^-15. Perhaps it is a good time to consider upgrading to TRNSYS16? ;-)
Best regards,

Diego

Stefan de Kool wrote:

Dear all,

I’m having a problem with a simple calculation (see attached files). I have 3 inputs, c0, c10 and c20, which are defined by type 14. I run the following calculation:

c-pred= teller / noemer, with teller = (c10^2 - c0*c20) and noemer = (2*c10 - (c0+c20)).

When I output these values, I get strange differences compared to values calculated in XL (see attached xl-file). At the first 48 timesteps everything goes fine with relative errors on the order of 10^-6, but from the 49th step on, errors on the order of 10^-4 occur. Strangly these occur only at the uneven timesteps. The errors occur only in teller and noemer but are, I suppose, levelled out after division.

Can anyone help with this? I suspect it has something to do with rounding-off errors but I can not find the exact cause. The only change I see in the input values at step 49 is that c10 changes from below 10^3 to above 10^3.

I tried decreasing the tollerances and also using Powell instead of Succesive, to no avail. When I change the timebase from 100h to 1000h (also for the type 14), the errors occur at different timesteps and different rates…

Thanks in advance,

Stefan de Kool

Cauberg-Huygen Raadgevende Ingenieurs B.V.

Bezoekadres: Boterdiep 48, 3077 AW ROTTERDAM

Postadres: Postbus 9222, 3007 AE ROTTERDAM

Telefoon: +31 (0)10-2443638

Fax: +31 (0)10-425 44 43

http://www.chri.nl