Re: [TRNSYS-users] transparent insulation

Hi Irene,
Here is another answer from Monika Schulz at Transsolar:

Dear Irene,
as far as I know there is no (published) non-standard type for the simulation of trasparent insulation. Anyhow it should be possible to generate a "window" if the parameters for WINDOW4.1 are known. Then you can connect this window to the wall behind passing a fictive zone (very small capacity, very high heat transfer coefficient). Kind regards
Monika

Diego A. Arias wrote:

Hi Irene,

I have not seen a reply to your question. When the building model was written, who would have thought that someone wanted transparent insulation? ;-)

Here are my humble ideas. I will appreciate if someone else has a better answer to share it with the mailing list.

Having transparent insulation will affect your energy balance on the wall in two ways: modifying the incoming solar radiation and the overall heat transfer coefficient. My idea is to do the following: - In TrnBuild, add the layered wall without the layer corresponding to the transparent insulation. - Select the external heat transfer coefficient to be an input. You will have to calculate it outside of TRNBuild, with an equation, taking into account the resistance of the insulation. - To address the effect of the optical properties on the solar radiation, you can use Type35 (window) to calculate the transmitted energy through a very simple glazing system; the simplest mode uses the index or refraction of the material to calculate the transmissivity. You can then use this modified solar radiation as the solar radiation hitting on your insulated wall. NOTE: set the area of the window to 1 m^2, because the output of Type35 is energy and not energy per unit area.

This approach is an approximation. You will have to work out the details. For example, you can complain that the external heat transfer coefficient will be applied to a different temperature on the surface of the wall.
Please let me know if this helps.
Best regards,

Diego

Irene Koronaki wrote:

Dear Trnsys Users,
How do we simulate transparent insulation? Is there any type that should be
connected to Type56?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Irene P.Koronaki
Dr. Mechanical Engineer